When considering operating your air conditioner throughout the summer, you want to retain the highest level of comfort without increasing your monthly energy bills.
We are here to help you determine whether it will be more cost-effective to leave your air conditioner on all day or toggle between the on and off settings based on when you will be home.
1. Is it a wiser financial choice to leave the air conditioner on all day?
When extremely high temperatures arise, it is often more economical to leave the air conditioning on all day. However, leaving it on full blast is not energy efficient. If you are uncertain how to reduce the cost of your monthly energy bills, it is in your best interest to seek the guidance of an expert in AC tune-up in Ellsworth.
It may make sense to recommend turning off the air conditioner when it is not in use, such as during the day when no one is home. During a heat wave, however, turning off the air conditioning in your home can quickly result in a substantial increase in heat and humidity.
Even after a few hours, your air conditioner will have to work hard to bring the temperature back to a comfortable level. In many instances, this could lead to a decline in cooling efficiency, an increase in the frequency of system repairs, and an increase in monthly energy bills.
2. Ways to cut down costs of an air conditioner
- Using programmable thermostats: Whether you stop your central air conditioning or increase the temperature on your thermostat while away, a programmable thermostat can bring the temperature down to a more comfortable level before your return. You will need to get a thermostat that is compatible with both your home’s cooling and heating systems.
- Utilize window curtains: Installing window panes or curtains can also reduce your heating and cooling costs. If you stop the sun’s rays from entering your home through the windows, the interior will be cooler, and your air conditioner won’t have to look for AC service in Ellsworth, WI.
- Replace your air filters: In addition to preventing impurities from entering your air ducts and other expensive components of your air conditioning system, replacing your air filters has further benefits. When air filters become clogged, airflow is impeded, leading to the evaporator coil freezing. Consequently, the unit remains on, resulting in increased electricity expenses.
- Buy a ceiling fan: Fans do not lower the temperature of a room; however, because they move air across your skin, they allow you to feel cooler despite the increased temperature. As a result, it is a waste of energy to leave a ceiling fan running while you are away in the hope that it will maintain a cooler temperature in the house.
Matt’s Electric, Heating, and Air Conditioning are here to assist you in ensuring that your air conditioner operates as efficiently as possible. We are ready to assist you with routine AC tune-up in Ellsworth, WI, and answer any concerns about adjusting your thermostat.